-
December 24th, 2000, 01:29 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I think your problem could be caused by software and/or driver trouble. I don?t know cakewalk myself, but I also had a lot of sync problems with the EWS64 and Logic Audio.
Have you tried the different driver versions? Further on, did you reinstall Windows after changing your mainboards? Windows does various changes in the registry when you?re changing the mainboard. I experienced by myself that changing the mainboard may cause difficulties by itself.
If you have another sound or audio card, for example a soundblaster or compatible, you could try out if cakewalk also looses sync with this one. If so, I would check if something is wrong about cakewalk.
That?s what comes to my mind so far about this.
Merry x-mas, Philipp
-
December 24th, 2000, 04:27 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I'm sorry for my terrible enghlish.
Please help me... I'm out of mind.
Until november 2000 I was an happy man.
I used cakewalk with my ews64XL and Windows 98 without problems.
So i decided to renew my PC.
I changed the motherboard - ASUS CUV4X
The CPU - Pentium III 800 Mhz
And of course I had to change my 128 Mb Ram Memory.
After that day (20-11-2000) I couldn't record again!!
The problem is:
At firts sync seems ok but after 1 minute you can hear the delay between audio and midi.
I tried everything you can find on EWS STRESS CONTROL PANEL but nothing happened !
I tried everything in BIOS, in Windows configuration and in Cakewalk configurations......Nothing.
So I came back to my old configurations....
Tragedy! For the first time my old Pentium II 333 Mhz + Motherboard Freetech discovered sync problems. (I can assure you that before November I never had this problem in the old configuration)But what shoulb be happened?
My suspect is: Is my EWS64XL damaged?
Thanks a lot Pls save a desperate man.
A. Lazzari
-
December 28th, 2000, 06:24 AM
#3
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by philippz:
I think your problem could be caused by software and/or driver trouble. I don?t know cakewalk myself, but I also had a lot of sync problems with the EWS64 and Logic Audio.
Have you tried the different driver versions? Further on, did you reinstall Windows after changing your mainboards? Windows does various changes in the registry when you?re changing the mainboard. I experienced by myself that changing the mainboard may cause difficulties by itself.
If you have another sound or audio card, for example a soundblaster or compatible, you could try out if cakewalk also looses sync with this one. If so, I would check if something is wrong about cakewalk.
That?s what comes to my mind so far about this.
Merry x-mas, Philipp<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
-
December 28th, 2000, 06:26 AM
#4
Inactive Member
THIS IS THE REAL REPLY A MADE A MISTAKE ON MY PREVOIUS REPLY
---------------------------------------------
I'm back again!
I'm still really desperate!
I wrote you on the 24th december 2000 about sync problems between audio and midi on cakewalk 9.
I have just tried the new drivers VXD 2,70; drv 2.15; firware 2.51. I also have the new set manager 3.15.
I've Windows 98 2nd edition.
I expanded the simm modules up to 256 Mb.
I tried a new video Module. (I passed from an Intel 740 to a 3dfx Voodoo3.
I also tried with a Creative Sound blaster (Live Platinum 1999).
But the situation didn't change a lot!
I have two strange effects with my damned EWS64XL.
The first is that (rarely) at a new boot up if I record I can hear a clip on the audio tracks recorded. This ONLY happens when I try to record the sound made by the Midi play.
I use my Midi Play Like a sampled drum Machine when I try to record it on an audio track SOMETIMES I can hear a clip.
I discovered that the only solution is to open the Control Panel and change just for a second the frequencies from 44.1Khz to 48Khz and then If I come back to 44.1Khz the clip disappear!!! (REALLY STRANGE DONT'YOU THINK?)
THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH THE NEW DRIVERS BECAUSE IF I USE THE 1998 DRIVERS I'LL NEVER FIND THIS STRANGE PROBLEM!
The second and most important problem is, as I said before, the Audio-Midi sync.
The strangest thing is the following.
I can work (for example) without problems for half an hour. I can close and re-open the sistem a lot of time. Then suddendly at a new boot up (for example after 10 boot up) the system loose the sync.
I tried everythin on my bios.
Someone told me that the best chipset for audio recording is the intel chipset.
Do you think that the problem should be on my asus CUV4X Motherboard. The Asus CUV4X has not the Intel chipset.
Sorry the last puntalization I also tried everything on Cakewalk Audio panels.
The problem is that now I finished my ideas......
-
December 28th, 2000, 09:06 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Try this:
Reduce number of wave-play devices to 1 or 2, (right click "my computer", properties...)this helped me to get midi/audio sync in Logic Audio.
Don't know what causes this, but if I use more than 2 wave-play devices, Logic reports "samplerate of *blah blah blah*" and audio is out of sync.
.KKu
-
December 30th, 2000, 09:37 PM
#6
Inactive Member
You said you tried all the possible changes of configuration before posting: so forgive me if i suggest something you already tried before.
My first idea: maybe your new motherboard has a weak ISA support. Since ISA it's about to die, newer motherboards only have one isa slot, or none at all. This is very sad, cause we'll lost the option to upgrade with our ews (that's even harder for mwpc owners) and we'll lost all our hard builded tts sets...
Try to upgrade your bios, if possible. if you have more than an isa slot, change the ews to the other.
I had once problems with my ews cause my whole machine was overheating: i fixed the internal ventilation and it worked again. Check that.
From the software point of view, uninstall the asio drivers, if you had them, specially the beta ones (you will have to delete some registry entries: be careful with that). Reduce the number of virtual channels, and check if the card is in music mode, not in game mode (in the system/propierties tab). Verify the multimedia configuration.
In Cakewalk: run again the wave profiler. check that the sync is taked from the wave driver (use the same wave driver in all the settings (nothing with the codec, of course)). Specially the "use wave out position for timing" option. The same with record and playback timing: use the same wave device for the all.
Check the the driver depth is the correct.
Try to use cake at 48khz. (with control panel at 48khz too).
Maybe the eeprom of the ews is a little confused: check it (be careful). verify that you don't have any hardware conflicts, remember that ews eats lots of resources.
Call terratec support...
Hope something helps.
Davito
-
December 31st, 2000, 07:13 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Dear Gentlemen,
I'm back again for the third time!!!
I want to thank everyone who tried to help me, but I've to say that until now I couldn't solve the problem in a totally way.
I've some new but I also have a big suspect:
THE NEW IS THE FOLLOWING:
I've read on an Internet site that my motherboard ASUS CUV4X, (since has not an Intel chipset but a VIA chipset), sometime could find problems with some video cards.
So they say to follow a particular way to solve this problem:
1)Re-instal Windows
2)Install the latest Microsoft DirectX Drivers that you can find.
3)After reebot, Install The Via Drivers of the Asus CUV4X Motherboard.
4) Only after that you can install the Video card.
Well I made everything and I have to say that now Cakewalk seems to run better.
I'Ve a good sync on Wave play # 1.
The only problem is "NOT TO RECORD TOGETHER WITH OTHER WAWE PLAY SELECTED."
LET ME EXPLAIN......
During RECORDING I MUST SET the Port on Wave Play #1. Also for the previous recorded Tracks.
On the other hand during Playback I can do everything......I recorded up to 20 Audio tracks (some of them not fully of course) without problems in this way.
Otherwise I cannot use (during recording) separate outputs for previous and new recorded tracks. FOR ME THIS I IS A BIG LIMIT!!! For example in the past, when I recorded a human voice, I used separate outputs using Wave out#1 for the previous track and Wave out#2 in order to have a clear hearing of the new tracks (the human voice).
I tried everything on Cakewalk, Windows and Bios configurations but now this latest problem remained.
THIS IS MY NEW QUESTION:
PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME IN ORDER TO SYNC, (DURING RECORDING), THE OTHER WAWE PLAY OUTPUTS?
I HAVE A BIG SUSPECT ON MY ASUS CUV4X.
My motherboard has a VIA CHIPSET and not an Intel Chipset.
I read on several magazines that for professional audio MOTHERBOARDS WITH INTEL CHIPSET ARE THE BEST EXPECIALLY FOR SYNC PROBLEMS.
SO I tried, with the help of one of my friends, a PC with a SOYO SY-6BA+III MOTHERBOARD INSTALLED. (Intel Chipset).
I made the heavier test possible.
I only installed my EWS64 on his computer and of course I tried to install CAKEWALK 9.
THE result WAS GOOD...NO SYNC PROBLEMS.
Only a little hum noise but i didn't investigate a lot about it since I couldn't use his PC for a lot of time.
I WOULD KNOW WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT MY CHIPSET SUSPECT.
I'M THINKING (SIGH!) TO CHANGE MY NEW MOTHER BOARD....BUT I NEED AN HELP! CAN YOU TELL ME A GOOD MOTHERBOARD WITH INTEL CHIPSET AND OF COURSE ISA SLOT FOR MY EWS64?
THANKS A LOT TO EVERYONE WHO TRIED TO HELP ME. YOU HAVE BEEN VERY PATIENTS AND GENTLE.
BYE..
A. LAZZARI
-
December 31st, 2000, 10:17 AM
#8
Inactive Member
MSI 6163 pro(www.msi-computer.de; sorry, I know only the german hp) is a very well working board with two ISA slots and Intel 440BX chipset. That would do for you.
Some people won?t like to hear this, but as I was in your place I didn?t change the motherboard, I bought a new audio card. Why?
There are some good reasons:
- newer audio cards have a better S/N ratio than the EWS 64: suddenly, there is silence...
- PCI bus offers a better performance than ISA. Your sequencer software will benefit very much of that because more tracks and plugins will be possible
- nearly all drivers for newer aucio cards I know are better(and more often re-)written than the EWS 64 drivers.
- you can use the SPDIF output of the EWS 64 to record the synthesizer output without quality loss
And there?s another good reason: money. As I know only the prices in Germany, I can only refer to these prices. A good 440BX-mainboard is about 150 ? in Germany. A Terratec AudioSystem EWX 24/96 is about 200 ?. If you buy a new mainboard, maybe the EWS 64 will work. If you buy a new audio card, you can use the EWS 64 as a very comfortable sampler/synthesizer and - in my opinion - you your audio PC will work very much better overall.
Happy new year to everyone,
Philipp
-
January 9th, 2001, 09:02 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Try installing Cubase VST version 3.x or better, then remove the program (I assume you prefer cakewalk...). Worked fine for me.
Cubase seems to fix the sync.
/danny
-
January 10th, 2001, 02:44 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Hello !
I had the same problems and so I plugged in a Creative SB Player,and a Sonic Impact (ESS)
for Audio! And My "old expensive" EWS I plugged in a second old PC as Sampler!
The best you can do is to by at least a
SB live (Player `cos good an cheep:-)
I tried to plug in a EWS and a Live in the same PC, but the EWS had the same problems like you and so I threw the EWS out!!
Belive me its the best you can do !
Make a old PC to a good Sampler with Akai S1000
support (GG)!
Chiao!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks